Serpaz Helilo, also known by her Skorpe handle, pliableDecadance, is one of the trolls in Vast Error. Her associated alchemic sigil is Gold and she is the Witch of Doom. Her three horns all point outward from her head, with the central horn pointing frontwards.
Serpaz is based off of the "Comedic Relief" fantroll archetype.
She was the tenth troll introduced and the fourth troll properly introduced in Act 2. She was also the seventh troll to enter the game.
Serpaz, when translated from Kurdish, means 'the serpent'. Ser paz is Spanish for "to be peace". Helilo, when translated from Estonian, means 'soundtrack'. It could also come from 'helio', the Greek word for sun, since in alchemy the Sun is heavily linked with gold.
Serpaz was once the kismesis of Calder Kerian, and was evidently a positive fixture in the sea-dweller's life. However, at some point, the two ended their relationship. Some time after this, she was accidentally shot in the leg by Laivan during one of his hunting excursions. The incident would change Serpaz's life forever, as it would lead her to be permanently disabled, but also lead her to meet the love of her life. She was also somehow acquainted with Arcjec during this time, and notably knew him prior to the event that led to his current depressive demeanor.
After her introduction and playing the accordian, she is suddenly messaged by Edolon Vryche, who claims to want to help her. Serpaz declines. Soon after this, she messages her friend Sova, and then Albion. After speaking to the two, she opens her front door to be greeted by Edolon, who she closes the door on. He manages to enter her hive regardless which makes Serpaz upset. She proceeds to shoot him with her nail gun, threatening to shoot him more if he doesn't leave. Edolon ends up picking Serpaz up and slamming her onto the ground, then shows her the damage the creatures have caused to her hive.
Serpaz is included in Arcjec's memo, but doesn't respond. This is likely because she was dealing with Edolon at the time.
Later on, we see the creatures have tied Serpaz to her wall as Edolon messages Albion through Serpaz's laptop. Serpaz manages to break free of The Creatures grasp, and equips a fire gun. After lighting her paragon repository with it and releasing her denizen, Edolon shows Serpaz her entry codes. These actions activate her entry portal.
Later, in "[S] Ellsee: Enter.", Serpaz is seen trying to fight off Edolon only to get distracted by her lusus, who was captured and bound by the creatures. Edolon takes advantage of her being distracted and pushes her into to her entry portal. He snarkly bids farewell to her as she's falling through with a distressed look.
During the game
Serpaz is shown going through her entry portal as well as being on her planet, however her platform has not been shown.
In a memo created by Arcjec, Serpaz tells everyone that when she had met her denizen it had begun laughing at her, which made her feel distraught at first. After a moment, though, she started laughing along with him. Serpaz also states that it seems 'Omenbeasts', a mythic creature on repiton (known as horses to the viewers), are very real on her planet. This implied her consorts are omenbeasts/horses, which is later confirmed. She also described her land as having "winding canyons."
Personality and Traits
Serpaz is a very upbeat and generally lighthearted troll even in the worst of situations. Her ecstatic and jokey nature carry her through most of her conversations, and she's amazing at improv banter. She's someone who believes mistakes can turn into miracles. While she's definitely a mostly positive influence, she doesn't seem to have an understanding of how negative emotions affect others, lacking empathy. Her mindset is infused with toxic positivity and she can easily make others uncomfortable as a result of this. Her inability to be empathetic is caused by her lusus, Lefty, who feeds on any and all negative emotions Serpaz experiences, keeping her constantly happy and preventing her from handling her own emotions.
She's a lover of stand up comedy, puns and all sorts of light-hearted tomfoolery. She considers herself a stand-up comedian on her own right, albeit one of middling quality. Among her favorite comedians are Troll Jerry Seinfeld, Troll John Mulaney, Troll Robin Williams, Troll Dave Chappelle and formerly; Troll Weird Al.
She's an aspiring architect and carpenter, constantly works towards outdoing her greatest project. However she tends to take a lot of breaks while working and has a habit of never finishing her ambitious projects because of how many ideas she has. Along with this she has a bad habit of accidentally hurting herself over and over again while on the job.
She is also an amateur accordion player but pretends to not enjoy it to reduce the temptation of playing it and cursing herself to a conversation with Edolon, who she obtained it from. Her lusus, Lefty, loves it though.
Serpaz is very fond of her Compecado lusus, and the two appear to be very close. Lefty was shown to be very protective of Serpaz when she was shot by Laivan and attempted to attack him and Mutt for hurting her.
Lefty sucks out any negative emotions Serpaz experiences, as shown after her first conversation with Edolon.
Laivan and Serpaz are matesprits and appear to be as close as two can be. The couple met two sweeps prior to the night of The Game, when Laivan accidentally shot Serpaz in the leg during a hunting excursion, which left Serpaz permanently unable to use that leg without a cane or brace. Apparently, they fell in love within the night due to this accident, the absurdity of which is something that does not elude them. Serpaz is evidently more comfortable with making light of the accident than Laivan is, for obvious reasons.
Calder and Serpaz were previously in a kismessitude. Prior to the end of their relationship, she used to push Calder to try new hobbies to get out of his own head. Calder still keeps pictures of Serpaz on the walls of his hive, as well as the model ship she gifted to him to have him make.
Sova is an old friend of Serpaz and Laivan, but they seem to have fallen out of touch with her prior to the events of the Game. The couple appears to be quite fond of and protective of Sova, apparently having saved her from something in the past and have possibly played a part in helping Sova get her current lodgings and belongings.
Serpaz appears to be slightly closer to Sova than Laivan is, likely due to her outgoing and jovial personality compared to Laivan's more laidback and quiet nature. However, while well-meaning, Serpaz is pretty bad at advising Sova when she is dealing with her emotional hang-ups and trauma, due to her own outlook of dealing with sadness and pain.
Serpaz and Arcjec are acquainted and have known each other for at least two sweeps. She regards Arcjec as a sad troll, but that he wasn't so sad when she first met him. She is aware that Laivan continually attempts to get Arcjec to open up and speak to him.
Serpaz and Murrit are implied to be friends. On Laivan's laptop background the hand in front of Serpaz and him is Murrits, which means she is the one who took the photo. Along with this, Serpaz has Murrit's filler account linked through hers (and vise versa), which seems to be something trolls do for their important relationships and quadrents.
Serpaz considers Edolon to be a nuisance and a creep, largely due to her distaste for the cult he follows on the account of how their vastly differing ideals on how to bring about laughter (Serpaz claims that they make liberal use of brainwashing to make people laugh). She finds his constant invitations to join his cult to be greatly annoying and wishes that he leave her alone.
- 'pliable' means 'able to be molded or altered', and 'decadence' means 'moral or cultural decline characterized by overindulgence in pleasure or luxury'.
- This could be a reference to both her title as a Witch of Doom, or her association with the element of gold which is notably both extremely pliable as a metal, and an extremely valuable luxury item on Earth.
- The element gold is a central element in alchemy, having been considered by some to be the perfect element. It is the subject of numerous pursuits to artificially create it, most notably with the mythical philosopher's stone. In alchemical circles, it is commonly associated with the element lead, due to their similar densities, leading many to believe that lead was the perfect material to be used to create gold.
- This alchemical association with gold is brought up within Vast Error, specifically through Calder's Ancestor and Repiton's version of Winston Churchill: a yellow-blooded alchemist who had managed to turn his entire body into the rare element. He unfortunately accomplished this shortly before the element was made to be entirely obsolete and useless on Repiton, and left the alchemist in abject poverty and in horrible pain until his death, as he was unable to restore himself to his previous form.
- Serpaz's love of comedy and her association with the element of Gold may relate to the term "Comedy Gold".
- While Laivan is constantly out of glue, Serpaz is constantly burdened with an overabundance of it. She regularly wonders why Laivan never asks her for any.
- Serpaz may or may not enjoy eating glue.
- Serpaz is a Tealblood, a Derse dreamer and Hero of Doom, her true sign on Alternia would be Limini, Sign of the Abider.
- Serpaz's entrance resembles Arcjec's, as they were both pushed into their entry portal by an outside force against their will, with one hand outstretched, which the camera focused on.
- Serpaz runs a Filler account under the username topperflop.
- Serpaz and Laivan are the same height.
- Serpaz's favorite food is spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread.
- Regarding music genres, Serpaz enjoys 80s, novelty/parody/comedy, and ska.
- There's also a chart that Austin made sharing bands that Serpaz, Laivan, and Murrit all enjoy.
Serpaz after being pushed into her entry portal by Edolon